LOS ANGELES, CA, September 24, 2013 – New West Records will release the new Dwight Yoakam compilation, 21st Century Hits: Best of 2000-2012, on October 1. The album chronicles for the first time the key singles, hits and beloved songs Yoakam recorded while on New West Records, Warner Brothers and Koch between 2000-12. The collection picks up where the multiple Grammy Award winner’s last greatest hits compilation left off and will bring the listener right up to his latest album, 2012’s 3 Pears. It will be available digitally, on CD and as a deluxe CD+DVD combo featuring five music videos: “Close Up The Honky Tonks, “Intentional Heartache,” Blame The Vain,” “Back Of Your Hand” and “Late Great Golden State.” The bonus DVD will also contain hi-res 24/96 audio playback of the album.
The 14-track LP is compiled of essential singles from five albums including Tomorrow’s Sound Today, Population Me, Blame The Vain, Dwight Sings Buck and 3 Pears as well as the smash hit “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” as featured in the film “The Break-Up,” and the never before commercially released duet with Michelle Branch, “Long Goodbye.” Also included is the Willie Nelson duet “If Teardrops Were Diamonds” and the rollicking “A Heart Like Mine” produced by Beck.
Opening the album is “The Sad Side Of Town,” a torchy Buck Owens-Yoakam co-write delivered with aching restraint. Yoakam’s homage to former mentor Owens, Dwight Sings Buck, is represented here with three tracks including Yoakam’s take on The Baron of Bakersfield’s perennial favorite, “Act Naturally.” His 2005 New West debut, Blame The Vain, which saw Yoakam taking the reins for his first-ever self- produced album, is highlighted here with four tracks including the rocking, uproarious “Intentional Heartache,” the twangy, boot-stomping “I Wanna Love Again” and the Hammond organ-laced country-rock title track.
Few entertainers have attained the iconic status of Yoakam. In his illustrious three-decade career he has sold more than 25 million albums worldwide, has amassed 12 gold albums and nine platinum or multi-platinum albums and is a 21-time nominated Grammy award winner. 21st Century Hits shines the spotlight on this country pioneer’s second act, which showcases him embracing rock, Americana, pop and soul with aplomb and the same fiery passion first displayed on his trail blazing 1986 debut.
DWIGHT YOAKAM’S 21ST CENTURY HITS: BEST OF 2000-2012 TRACK LIST
1. The Sad Side Of Town (Tomorrow's Sounds Today)
2. The Late Great Golden State (Population Me)
3. The Back Of Your Hand (Population Me)
4. If Teardrops Were Diamonds (with Willie Nelson) (Population Me)
5. Long Goodbye (with Michelle Branch) (Previously Unreleased)
6. Intentional Heartache (Blame The Vain)
7. Blame The Vain (Blame The Vain)
8. I Wanna Love Again (Blame The Vain)
9. Just Passin' Time (Blame The Vain)
10. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (The Break-Up Soundtrack)
11. Close Up The Honky Tonks (Dwight Sings Buck)
12. My Heart Skips A Beat (Dwight Sings Buck)
13. Act Naturally (Dwight Sings Buck)
14. A Heart Like Mine (3 Pears)
1. Close Up The Honky Tonks
2. Intentional Heartache
3. Blame The Vain
4. Back of Your Hand
5. Late Great Golden State
* Bonus DVD also contains hi-res 24/96 audio playback of the album